Fire Up Your Feet offers two Activity Challenges in a school year – fall and spring – in participating regions across the country. Final award amounts vary in each region and are made to the schools showing the highest percentages of participation.
IMPORTANT: Only K-8 schools in these participating regions are eligible to win Challenge Awards:
For specifics about your participating region's award levels and amounts, click on your region listed above.
1st, 2nd, 3rd PLACE FINAL CHALLENGE AWARDS: Awards are allocated based on the number of students, parents, guardians, and school staff tracking during the Challenge Period, divided by total school enrollment.
BREAKOUT AWARDS: To keep the excitement going throughout the challenge, each region offers special breakout awards that varying from most new registrants in a week to incentives for sharing pictures and stories of your school’s success.
Small School Award: Schools with less than 100 students are eligible to compete for all awards, except for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd place Challenge Awards. This award will be given to a school with less than 100 enrolled students that has the highest percentage of students, parents, guardians, and school staff tracking during the Challenge Period.
Bike Your Region Award: Spring-based award. Our minds and bodies are strong! This spring Fire Up Your Feet is asking schools to showcase your strength by tracking the estimated miles needed to bike across your region. Schools that track the designated amount of miles with a minimum of 20 participants during the challenge will be entered into a drawing to win up to $500 for their school. We know your school can do it! Amounts and miles vary by region. Each Bike Your Region award winner will be entered into a drawing to win a Bike Bike Rack from Dero.
Marathon Kids Run/Jog Challenge Award (new in Spring 2016, KP regions eligible): The award will go to the school with the highest total minutes spent running or jogging. Schools with a minimum of 20 participants tracking running/jogging are eligible. The winning school will receive 10 Marathon Kids Running Club Memberships ($150 value).
Let's Move Active Schools Award: Schools that have enrolled with and completed an online Assessment for Let's Move Active Schools and have at least 10 participants tracking activity for the Fire Up Your Feet Challenge will be entered in a drawing for a $500 award.
PeopleForBikes Award: A $500 PeopleForBikes award will go to the top three schools nationally with the highest percentage of participants tracking bicycle activity. A total of three $500 awards are available; limit one award per state/region.
One $500 For the Love of the Game: Share Your Story Award: The benefits of physical activity go well beyond the numbers on the tracker, scoreboard, or scale. At the core of Fire Up Your Feet is the heart and soul that each individual brings to their commitment to healthy, active kids and thriving schools. We invite you to share how your Fire Up Your Feet program is the most innovative and engaged program in the country! Please share a short narrative (minimum 5-10 sentences) about any one of the following topics:
- How Fire Up Your Feet helped your school community achieve 60 minutes of daily physical activity or increase activity overall.
- How Fire Up Your Feet helped engage school staff, parents and children as role models for health.
- How Fire Up Your Feet opportunities were made accessible to all audiences, especially in lower income areas.
- How Fire Up Your Feet helped parents and students to become champions for school wellness policies and active transportation.
- Innovative ways in which the Fire Up Your Feet program and awards have benefited or will benefit your school community.
Please enter your narrative into the following form by clicking here. The award will be presented to the school with a submission that best speaks to one or more of our program's core values listed above. Since we love seeing schools get in on the action, photos or videos are strongly encouraged. Complete the following form to accompany your submission and submit accompanying photos and videos to firstname.lastname@example.org between April 11- May 9, 2016 and May 1- June 17, 2016 depeding on region's challenge dates. Please make sure your email comes from the same address as the one listed on your official form entry. The winner will receive a $500 award on behalf of their school and national recognition on our blog and Facebook page. Limit one response per person.
CRITERIA & SELECTION
Final Challenge Awards are calculated by the following formula:
Total number of students, parents/guardians and school staff that tracked during the Challenge period, divided by school enrollment data. We utilize national enrollment data from Market Data Retrieval, one of the nation’s leading educational list compilers. This data is updated annually from data provided directly by school districts and from state enrollment reports. We use the most recent data set available to us; however, this data set may not reflect your school’s exact school enrollment for the current school year.
- Awards will be calculated by the Safe Routes to School National Partnership and awarded to a qualified school group such as a PTA, PTO, school, district, or school foundation. Awards will not be made to individuals.
- Awarded funds must be spent on activities/uses related to the school’s health and wellness goals.
- In order to be included in the award calculation registered parents, students, and school staff must track their activity at least once during the Challenge period.
- Schools must have a minimum of ten participants tracking one activity to be considered for a 1st,2nd, or 3rd tier Challenge Award.
- In the event of a tie, a drawing will determine the awardee.
- School groups receiving the award will be required to complete an acknowledgement form.
- If a school wins a first-place award two Challenges in a row, they are ineligible to win a 1st, 2nd or 3rd place award for the following Challenge. However they are still eligible to win in other award categories. Award categories and criteria may be subject to change; questions should be directed to email@example.com.
Fire Up Your Feet award winners will receive discounts to purchase items from the following companies: